Waxless Candles: Elegant and Useful
Wax is overrated. It’s messy, the color isn’t what you expected and it’s just too cliché. I’ve got a way you can make an elegant candle for your viewing pleasure, (or in an emergency) with things you already have around the house.
The essentials for Waxless Candles:
- A non-smokey oil, such as Olive Oil or lamp oil
- Wick Material (I use 24ply braided wick)
- A short mason jar (I use half pint Ball jars)
- A wire wick (I re-use the metal tabs inside tealights, but you can purchase pretabbed wicks or use beer bottle caps)
- Anything you want to decorate the inside of the candle with. (Cloves and cinnamon sticks are my go-to, but you need to be careful as to remove it if it get’s too close to the flame!)
- Anything you want to scent the candle with. (I suggest essential oils, such as orange or lavender.)
Get it together:
You’ll need to figure out the best way to get your wick to stand depending on what materials you’re using.
- If you are using pre-tabbed wicks, shove it in the center of the mason jar.
- If you are reusing a wire wick from the bottom of a used tealight, remove all of the tealight wax and shove your wick through the piece, keeping no wick under the base (otherwise it will be off balance and won’t stand.) Place it in the center of the mason jar.
- If you are using metal bottle caps, glue the wick to the bottle cap with a hot glue gun.
It is super important to make your wick stand up as straight as possible.
Next you’ll want to drop in your floaties, such as a whole clove or cinnamon stick, which will also release scent over time.
Now gently pour your oil around the wick, being careful that it isn’t in danger of overflowing.
The wick should now be trimmed so it sits less than a half inch above the oil.
Optionally, place the ball jar band around the jar if you’re into that kind of thing.
Light it up and voila! A waxless candle.
Most of my recommended essentials for waxless candles are eligible for Amazon Prime, which means you’ll instantly get upgraded to FREE two-day shipping. I highly recommend you try a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. There are so many other benefits, too!
And if waxless isn’t your style, I highly recommend Soy or Beeswax candles for your home.
Show off your waxless candle by posting below!